I’ve been searching for a good DIY Sailor Bow Tutorial and free pattern, but couldn’t find one… so I decided to create my own! I’ve loved seeing them all over Etsy and Pinterest, but the stores I try to buy them from are always closed. Now I can make as many as I want, with any fabric I like! I do have one from Etsy, and I will tell you that it is incredibly well made and totally worth the money if you can catch the bow you want!
I should warn you ahead of time that these are more time consuming to make than they appear, so be prepared! Happy sewing!
DIY Sailor Bow & Baby Bow Instructions
- Sewing machine
- Glue gun and glue (I used fabric hot glue)
- Alligator hair clips, nylons, pattern pieces
- Bodkin for turning if you have one (or just use your fingers) – a knitting needle or something with a blunt end will make your corners look sharp without poking through
Directions for sewing Sailor and Baby Sailor Bows
4) Turn inside out.
5) On long pieces roll the seam to the back middle. Iron.
7) Pinch together bottom bow piece and wrap with wire to top piece.
9) Fold and iron center piece, and glue to back of bow and wrap it around clip or headband to secure. The end should fold over 1/4 inch at the very end for a nice clean edge. Glue end. I always wrap down and then up and over the front for my bows.
Click on the links below to download your patterns! And tag me #diysailorbow on Instagram with your final projects! @nataliemalanstudio